United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs)
In 2015, world leaders from 193 countries including Kyrgyzstan adopted the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and its 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) that would build a better future for everyone.
The SDGs cover a wide range of complex social, economic, and environmental challenges and addressing them will require transformations in how societies and economies function and how we interact with our planet. Education, research, innovation and leadership will be essential in helping society address these challenges. Universities, with their broad remit around the creation and dissemination of knowledge and their unique position within society, have a critical role to play in the achievement of the SDGs. Arguably none of the SDGs will be achieved without this sector.
Given the size of the task of achieving the SDGs, and the critical role universities have in supporting and delivering on them, there is an urgent need for the sector to accelerate action on the SDGs. The key is for universities to get started.
SDG Club – an initiative of Dr. Gulnaz Atabaeva, Senior Lecturer at Department of Economics, Ala-Too International University and active advocate of United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs). This is the first university club in Kyrgyzstan which promotes UN SDGs among students and helps students to deepen their engagement with the SDGs.
SDG Club works closely with the United Nations in the Kyrgyz Republic and is supported by His Excellency Dr. Ozonnia Ojielo, United Nations Resident Coordinator and UNFPA Representative in the Kyrgyz Republic.
Objectives of the SDG Club are:
- Provide students with the knowledge, skills, and motivation to understand and address the challenges of the SDGs
- Empower and mobilize young leaders
- Encourage and support all student clubs and societies to engage with the SDGs and collaborate with each other on SDG-related events and activities
- Promote student volunteering activities that address the SDGs
- Help students set up a network to mobilize the campus and student groups behind the SDGs through events, campaigns and projects
- Support students to engage in national and global leadership programs for young people on the SDGs
- Encourage and promote the SDGs as a topic of research within the university
- Raise awareness and the profile of the SDGs among students looking to build their career profile and presence in new spaces
- Help students to understand how their research currently relates and connects to SDGs
- Prioritize research relating to the SDGs and develop academic promotion criteria that value contributions to the SDGs
SDG Club helps students to unite, evolve, grow, enhances creativity and leadership, teaches global citizenship to contribute to global development, inspires young people for championing UN SDGs and serving to humanity.
“SDG Club – Young Leaders for the Global Goals”